Student Health Insurance Coordinator
Student Health Insurance Coordinator
Department: Wellness Center
Reports To: Executive Director
Status: 12 month
Job Grade: 6
GENERAL SUMMARY: Informs, counsels and provides guidance to students to navigate health systems and available healthcare resources within the guidelines of federal, state and local laws, and college and office policies and procedures. Reports to the executive director of the Wellness Center and works with students, staff, insurance providers, parents, and other contacts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Informs, counsels and provides guidance to students to navigate health systems and available healthcare resources.
2. Files insurance claims using data entry via Medicat system.
3. Assists students with filling out paperwork and insurance claims; reviews required insurance information with students both verbally and in writing; contacts insurance companies and internal insurance office when questions arise concerning services covered and payment of services; assists students with follow-up communications and handles all return mail follow-ups for/with students.
4. Keeps abreast of current federal, state, county, and local medical laws, rules and policies: Medicare, Medicaid, federal/state healthcare exchanges, health insurance companies and other healthcare providers.
5. Assists students by providing information/guidance on programs that would best suit the individual student’s needs: Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), other health insurances, and on-campus health services.
6. Serves as liaison between medical marketplaces and the students, and liaisons between ASC Wellness and referral resources on campus and in the community.
7. Collects compliance data as required by federal/state/local laws and maintains and reports data on student advocate utilization functions.
8. Provides outreach to students on understanding on campus health resources such as ASC student health services and counseling and psychological services which will include participation in student outreach sessions.
Education: BA/BS in related occupational field of study.
Experience: Minimum of one year work experience in a medical and/or health insurance setting.
* Excellent organization skills: ability to manage caseloads and maintain and document case files.
* Proficiency in Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic mail; experience with database management and reporting; and mastery of modern office procedures.
* Good communication skills, both verbal and written. Excellent listening skills.
* Experience with medical terminology, ICD-9 codes and HIPAA and health insurance.
* Ability to work independently and/or as part of diverse work teams.
* Ability to follow timelines and meet deadlines.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality, use discretion and good judgment, work independently, and prioritize work assignments.
Intermittent sitting, standing, stooping, crouching, walking, and occasional moving of light objects. Work is generally performed in an office.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Reference the position title of Student Health Insurance Coordinator on the Subject line and e-mail a resume, letter of interest, professional references and salary requirements to email@example.com. Position is posted until filled. Due to the overwhelming response to the college's staff openings we are unable to respond personally to individual telephone inquiries. No faxed submissions please.
Agnes Scott does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by law in its employment. Agnes Scott has a strong commitment to diversity and urges members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Posted on: 5/2/2014