Making a Gift of Stock
Stock Held in a Brokerage Account
Option 1: Electronic Transfer
- Instruct your broker to transfer shares electronically to Agnes Scott College. Our brokerage account is with SunTrust Bank.
- After instructing your broker to make the transfer, please e-mail Bret Busch, director of advancement services, at email@example.com so he can match your name with your gift when it arrives. You can also call him at 800.868.8602, ext. 6105.
- Please note that it typically takes two or three business days to complete an electronic stock transfer.
- Stock gifts by electronic transfer are credited to the donor the date the shares are received in the Agnes Scott brokerage account. The gift amount is the average market value on that day.
You may need the following information for the electronic transfer of a stock gift:
SunTrust Account Name: Agnes Scott College
Account Number: 1121956
Participant Number: 2039
FFC SunTrust Bank a/c 11188
Account Representative: Beverly Glenn
Agnes Scott's Tax ID: 58-0566116
Option 2: Transfer by Letter
- Inform your broker of the type and number of shares by letter.
- Send a copy of your letter to the office of development, at the address below.
- We will handle the stock transfer directly with your broker.
Stock Certificates in Your Possession
- Write a brief letter of instruction that includes your name, class year, names of stock(s) and the number of shares you are giving.
- If you have a certificate for more shares than you wish to give, please include your social security number and specific written instructions as to how many shares you are giving and how many should be returned to you. It generally takes four to six weeks for a new stock certificate to be issued in your name.
- Sign a stock power form. You can obtain a stock power form from your broker or from the office of development. Only your signature is required on the form.
- Mail the unsigned stock certificate(s) and letter of instruction in one envelope and the signed stock power form in a separate envelope to the office of development at the address below.
- E-mail Bret Busch, director of advancement services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 800.868.8602, ext. 6105 to let him know the gift is in progress.
- Your gift date is the postmark date of the later envelope. Your gift amount is the average market value on that day.
Mutual Fund Shares
Agnes Scott welcomes gifts of mutual funds, but they involve additional steps that can take up to six weeks. The calculations for the gift date and gift amount are the same as for stock held in a brokerage account. To make a gift of mutual funds, please e-mail Bret Busch, director of advancement services, at email@example.com or call him at 800.868.8602, ext. 6105.